Spring is my favorite time of year, and I enjoy spending time outside with the family during these warmer months. There is something about nature that draws me closer to God, and I want my family to experience that too. Here are some outdoor family activities to encourage your kids to know and love God, be like Him in character, and share His love with others!
1. Family Hike/Bike Ride: During a family hike or bike ride, ask your family to spend quiet time reflecting on God’s nature as they walk/bike. Then talk about what you saw and how it reminded you of God in some way. Spend time thanking God for His beautiful creation!
2. Family Picnic: Go on a picnic and bring a family devotional to do together. Being outside together on a blanket surrounded by God’s beautiful creation can make the occasion feel more exciting and special! For some family devotional options, click here!
3. Park Play: Sing worship songs or practice Bible verses together as you push your kids on the swing, or have them say a verse before giving them an “underdog” or sliding down the slide.
4. Family Sports: Think of a character trait ahead of time you would like your family members to practice throughout the week, such as encouragement or self control. Discuss the character trait and how to practice it. Then before starting a family game of soccer, baseball, etc., think of ways you can show that Christ-like character during the game.
5. Hide and Seek: After playing a game of hide and seek with your kids at a park, ask them if they could ever hide from God. Remind them that we can never hide from Him because He always sees us and watches over us. Read and consider memorizing Psalm 139:7-12 as a family.
6. Neighbor Day: Plan a day where you have your neighbors over, perhaps just watching the kids play in the front yard. Ahead of time, discuss with your family ways you can be a light for Jesus with your words, actions, and character. Pray before the event and later on discuss how God was able to use you to share His love with others after.
7. Charitable Fun Run/Walk: Find a charitable/missional organization that is organizing a fun run to raise funds for their cause. Sign the family up and walk or run together to make a difference for Jesus. A great example is Team World Vision’s 6K Walk for Water that raises money for children to have clean water around the world! This has become an annual event in our family!
Enjoy these spring months as the weather warms up, and I pray that God gives you creative ideas to grow your kids in amazing ways for God’s kingdom!
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deut. 5:6-7